There is possibly a secret story in the album if you arrange the songs correctly.
- "The Louvre" - A new relationship's beginning. Lorde wanted to capture the "dumbness of falling in love".
- "Hard Feelings" - The relationship is falling apart.
- "Liability" + "Liability (Reprise)" - The relationship has officially ended, and she has deep remorse.
- "Supercut" - She regrets the past, and wishes to move on.
- "Hard Feelings/Loveless" - She takes the cliché "crazy ex-girlfriend" route, still on the road to moving on.
- "Homemade Dynamite" - She begins to fall to alcohol.
- "Sober" + "Sober II (Melodrama)" - Her habits remain and get more serious.
- "Perfect Places" - She is now in a very hard place, now resorted to harder partying, drinking and hooking up.
- "Green Light" - She realizes what kind of place she is in, and starts to rebuild herself.
- "Writer in the Dark" - She will finally be able to find a way without her ex-lover.
(To submit your own theories about secret messages, visit Melodrama/Theory Submissions.)
- From "Dancing around the lies we tell" ("Team") to "It's time we dance with the truth" ("Sober")
- From "It's a new art form showing people how little we care" ("Tennis Court"), to "We pretend that we just don't care, but we care" ("Sober")
- From "There's nothing more I want, except to be alone" ("The Love Club") to "Now I can't stand to be alone" ("Perfect Places")
- From "We're dancing in this world alone" ("A World Alone") to "Now I can't stand to be alone" ("Perfect Places")