Throughout "Melodrama", Lorde leaves many secret messages and cross-references. This is a list of all of them.
There is possibly a secret story in the album if you arrange the songs correctly.
- The Louvre - A new relationship's beginning. Lorde wanted to capture the "dumbness of falling in love".
- Hard Feelings - The relationship is falling apart.
- Liability + Liability (Reprise) - The relationship has officially ended, and she has deep remorse.
- Supercut - She regrets the past, and wishes to move on.
- Hard Feelings - She takes the cliché "crazy ex-girlfriend" route, still on the road to moving on.
- Homemade Dynamite - She begins to fall to alcohol.
- Sober + Sober II (Melodrama) - Her habits remain and get more serious.
- Perfect Places - She is now in a very hard place, now resorted to harder partying, drinking and hooking up.
- Green Light - She realizes what kind of place she is in, and starts to rebuild herself.
- Writer in the Dark - She will finally be able to find a way without her ex-lover.
(To submit your own theories about secret messages, visit Melodrama/Theory Submissions.
- From "Dancing around the lies we tell" (Team) to "It's time we dance with the truth" (Sober)
- From "It's a new art form showing people how little we care" (Tennis Court), to "We pretend that we just don't care, but we care" (Sober)
- From "There's nothing more I want, except to be alone" (The Love Club) to "Now I can't stand to be alone" (Perfect Places)
- From "We're dancing in this world alone" (A World Alone) to "Now I can't stand to be alone" (Perfect Places)